Due to important data center maintenance procedures on March 3rd, we will be experiencing several hours of downtime between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 EST. Sorry for any inconvenience.

All Comments to Rik Hoving | Custom Car Photo Archive's files

• john williamson (Private)
    looks like a Garwood boat windshield, great looking car, needs shorter steering column.
  • darron edens (Private)
    CruisinRightSide93_0010-TuffTinnPhoto.jpg
    This is my dads merc, i was 12 years old at that show, 32 now and just got done cruisin' the merc at chehalis Billetproof, cant believe there is a picture of it from that era on the internet :-) i see its been 5 years sence this was posted but if you see this mike , give me a call 360 219 7665 im sure dad would love to hear from ya.
  • My 51 Mercury (Private)
    Lynn Goodwin-1950Merc-3Window
    Where can I find more literature about this car?.
  • My 51 Mercury (Private)
    49mrec 3windowRH
    One hell of a mercury it's about time you see something different.
      Was this car a four-door at one time?.
  • 8 months ago
    6/29/14 - This car 'lives' in the Kansas City area - saw it last weekend at a local cruise.  I'll try to get some more pictures and current information from the current owner - but no question it is the same car - license plate is the same and from what I could tell the only change is chrome reverse(?) wheels and knock off centers.
  • bob st clair (Private)
    P6280070
    need rear finder skirts for my 2005 dodge maginum r/t
  • 2 years 8 months ago
    polyn014
    I once owned the polynesian clone .
    I purchased it from Jack Walker .
    Some of your photos are at my house in Novato ca.
      So what, If any of us knew the popularity and the cost today to build what we used to own, a lot of us would not have sold them.
  • 4 years 2 months ago
    ValleyGlenHookerChanneling2-04.jpg
    Wow ! I have been looking for this car for 51 years ! I grew up in North Hollywood, and was offered this car in 1959. I had seen it on Van Nuys Blvd. near Victory. It was (and still is) the most beautiful car I have ever seen.About a year earlier I had purchased a 52 Chevy named Gee Whiz. I can't remember his name, but I think he lived in Pacoima or San Fernando. He wanted to trade even over for his former car.I wanted to do so immediately, but I was only 17 and my Father refused because the Merc was 12 years older than my Chevy which now had an Olds v8 which I had installed. I have carried this disappointment for the past 50+ years. I would have never sold it! I remember seeing the Merc one more time going south on Woodman from Cantara. I purchased a movie of the car at the Father's Roadster Show.I''ve owned dozens of cars but this one's the love of my life.I now drive a 4runner and a black on black on black 05 Mustang convertible.

I went to high school at Burbank Hi with Glen and later worked with him at Pacific Telephone. The car won 1st place at the Autorama Show in LA around 1960. I always thought it was a 1940. It is still my favorite Merc, 2nd was the 4 door convertable tub. My neighbor had one with a 289 in it but the pipes sounded just like a flathead. I had a 40 Ford coupe that I would now give my eyeteeth for now. George Clarke-
    • 1 year 6 months ago
      Wow, indeed.  The Hooker Mercury was, and is, possibly the best looking custom, ever.  Balanced, tight, and clean and completed in an era of what seemed the opposite . . . well?  I, too, was in love with this car.  There's just something about it.  Confidence?  The influence of esthetics?  A good eye?  Plus, Buick's Titian red lacquer.
      I lived in Burbank in the very early sixties. but the Mercury was, by that time, gone.  It didn't seem to last too long after the movie role it played in A Strange Adventure (the guy really slammed the hood shut, with a resounding crunch, among other indignities).  I watch the movie just to see the Hooker Mercury.
      But yes, wow!.  A completely beautiful job by Valley Custom . . . yet another beautiful job by Neil and Clayton; they were so good . . . The Polynesian.  Dunn's sectioned shoebox.  Jelniks (?) '40, among so many others.
      Ps.  Imagine it, today, with thinner bumpers . . . but, I dream on . . .
    1-24-08 002
    Very Art Deco!
  • Monique lopez (Private)
    post-9171-1130458986
    Does anyone know where I can get this picture of my grandpa? Was it in a magazine? Which one? Thanks
    Gene Meeks-52Packard34.jpg
    This car has been found if anyone is interested.
    I knew Lee Wells in the early 1960's when he was building this car.  A friend, Peter Paul Gallo had a T-bird convertible customized by Lee and both cars really were beautiful.  And yes, Lee had his own shop when I met him.

Dawn Ruhl Wilson

• JoeBortz (Private)
    1955FalconPebbleBeach
    I believe that this was either 1989 or 1990 - Joe's cars were at Pebble Beach both years.  For more information go to
    Debbie
  • John (Private)
    BlueConvertibleDuValle
    Who made the beautiful top. Is it a kit or custom made?
  • memo ortega (Private)
    John Tretten-17-W
    man this 51 hard top custom kicks, hard tops are the bombs, this custom bowes to no one, aweeesome just my 2, cents