All Comments to Rik Hoving | Custom Car Photo Archive's files

• Tom (Private)
    P7230027
    This car was created in Metz's El Rancho body shop in Shelbyville,Indiana, around 1958.the car is a behemoth. I can't imagine driving some thing like that. he also did work on Elvis's gold Caddy.word was he built a second Kookie's Show rod, for use on 77 sunset strip and for car shows
      1 year 6 months ago
      your information is not very accurate. do some research before making such a post. bob metz did many of the modifications on this, the SECOND version of the golden sahara..barris built the first version. your other info is also wrong.
        1 year ago
        My brother took me to El Rancho Body Shop in 1957 the Golden Sahara was being built there, it was bare metal bones but had the Split fins on it, a Bob Metz specialty. Barris was famous for putting his name on other people's work, The Black Beauty from Green Hornet TV Show, The Monkee Mobile, Dean, Jeffries did both of those. Bob had the car in his shop for over 5 years, It was hand built. Work stopped on it when other customers cars came in that were a priority. Elvis was a long time customer, Bob did work on several of his cars, from repair to damage to custom work. My brother was a friend of Bob's, I remember one of Elvis's Caddy's being in there. I saw the Golden Sahara on local TV with Bob and it was at the State Fair. Bob sold it to be used in a movie. It was in our local Newspaper at the time.
    P3130166
    buetiful Merc where is it now
    kaiser2
    Where is this car
    kaiser2
    Do you know where this car is located now
    28vamwj
    This is so butiful
    1 year ago
    Steve I don't know if you remember me. But I was surfing the web about Hot Rods and your name showed up. It's been a long time you are still the best Ron Willie ogden Utah.
  • rick (Private)
    32 roadster-TomNielsen
    Hello,
    Is this picture of the cool rods taken at Sanderson field in Shelton Washington at the Shelton drag strip back then?
      1 year ago
      I think it was taken at the Arlington drag strip.
  • Debi (Private)
    P9130001
    My dad is Jesse Lopez. He told me about the 41 Ford that he created in the 40's. Barris was not involved with the car. Dad was good friends with George Barris over the years and Jess is attending his funeral this Saturday. My dads 86 now and currently having his 1957 T-bird restored at House of Color. Dad owned the shop House of Color and created the candy apple color. Dad gave House of Color to Junior many years ago. Its great to see Dads 41 ford still being admired. My dad is extremely detailed in everything he does and it shows in the cars he's had.
      This comment was deleted by Rik Hoving | Custom Car Photo Archive
      • Debi (Private)
        This comment was deleted by Rik Hoving | Custom Car Photo Archive
    BoHuffFourDoorMerc01.jpg
    this is the greatest looking chopped merc. that i have ever seen, my wish is to own one just like this before i leave this earth'' this is the only car that has eluded me in my life, i have owned several custom caddys and vetts, g.t.o.s trans ams but this one that is pictured here has to be the next one for me! i will shop every were until i find mines' it has to be just like this one or better, but i would truely be happy with one just like this one!!
    49 Ford side view
    Thanks for sharing the drawings - THE dream come true..
  • Curt Brennan (Private)
    PB050032
    When I got it in '73, the hood was gone, the front bumper, lake pipes and grill were gone along with the wheel covers. The interior was still good and the car drove fine for have been sitting for so long. The paint was cracked and chipped so I decided to chemically strip it with NAPA "Airplane Stripper".....it stunk to high heaven, but I got it all off the car.  It was a cold Spokane Wintertime "labor of love" project but it paid off.  It's fully restored now and it's fun to see it in good hands again.
    1 year ago
    I owned this car back in '73 up near Spokane WA. The paint was all cracked and peeling, so I chemically stripped it down to bare metal (I still have the photos). I then traded it to a large auction company in Seattle who fully restored it.  I believe it then went to Kurt McCormick after that.  (Curt Brennan, Oregon)
  • Tom N. (Private)
    Custom-1956-Plymouth-FB
    I think the Plymouth was painted green when I took this picture in 1960.
    XP8290142 JPG