All Comments to Jerry Dougherty's CONNECTICUT's files

12 days ago
    Cabbages and Kings Volume 25, 1995-073
    22 years ago! Wow!!
  • Walter Jakoboski (Private)
    Most beautiful town in the state, my final home.
      1 year 4 months ago
      MEL MONTEMERLO - Charles-Ten Restaurant History-13
      Good looking group
    • Brenda (Private)
      ONECO - STERLING MUNICIPAL BUILDING
      Ahh, the old Sterling Memorial School. So many memories of going to school here. Would love to see old photos of the school when it was still a school.
      EAST HARTFORD - FORMER SOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL
      3rd and 4th grade here (1954 -56 ??) Playground group "The buzzards".  Mrs Hodgdin and Mrs Bleezard. Jean Pansky (crazy about me) and Dian Snyder (walked her home from sunday school), and a Japanese Girl (tied her braids to her chair). Made rockets with Robert Beaudett.  Coat room along south wall of classroom.  Lots of fun. Liked to try and catch the big leaves from the Sycamore tree at the North west corner of the play ground.
    • Karen Cutler Keesee (Private)
      Cutler Mobile Station - 04
      It is so cool to see my great grandfathers gas station!!!
      • Larry-306 United States (Private)
        We lived next door in above Tate's paint and wallpaper. I think I was 3 or 4 years old when moved to S. Center St.
      WOLCOTT - FIRE DEPARTMENT - COMPANY NO 1
      My grandfather took me here when I was young boy. I always remember the 6:00 p.m. whistle blowing from the fire house. This was back in 1950 era.
      When I was a child in the 1940's we would ice skate on the green
      WEST HAVEN - CITY HALL
      THIS PHOTO MAKES ME HOME SICK
    • Larry-306 United States (Private)
      Ashmere Inn being torn down - 02
      It was C.H Dexters mansion before it was the Inn. L. Ferrari
        1 year 9 months ago
        well, not actually Charles Haskell Dexter's mansion-- he lived in the house his father Seth III built which later became the Bickford Convalescent Home;  Ashmere was built by Chas H Dexter's sister who was married to Edwin Douglas the engineer who designed the Windsor Locks Canal about 1848.  They left Windsor Locks as Edwin was involved in other canal projects and the 22-room mansion stayed in the Dexter family.  Chas Haskell Dexter's daughter Julia married Thomas R Haskell and they built a similar house just north where the library now is.Thomas died a few years after the marriage, but fathered a daughter Thomasine.  Julia then married Herbert R Coffin, Sr who later became a partner in the paper company.  Herbert and Julia lived in Ashmere and their sons Arthur Dexter Coffin and Herbert R Coffin, Jr followed in the company leadership roles. AD lived in the CH Dexter House (later the Bickford's) before moving into Ashmere.  AD's son was Dexter Drake Coffin local philanthropist and industrialist who paid for the Centennial movie and gave his Granby camp to the scouts of WL.  Dex wanted Ashmere to be the town library and offered it to the library board in 1952 before he left town,  His offer was declined and he sold it to local businessmen who made it an Inn which closed 7 years later and was purchased for Dexter Plaza and demolished.  Herbert Coffin, Jr lived in the house just north of the Congregational Church where the post office now stands.  In 1940, Thomasine Haskell Conant demolished her deteriorating father's house and donated the 5-acre site to the WL Public Library for the sole purpose of a library where a grand new library was erected in 1990. The Swindell house which housed the library from 1955 through 1989 was a 1904 house which stood on McAuley Lane off Center Street about where the present Middle School auditorium stands today.  When Dex left WL in 1952, he also sold the Dexter house on Main St to the Rose and Ken Bickford and donated land behind Ashmere to Center Street  for a new high school (now the Middle School) which built in 1955.  The bridge portion of Interstate I-91 was named for Dexter D Coffin who gave of his time, talent and treasure to the local community and was largely responsible for steering the decision to place an airport at the western end of town instead of in Hartford.
        • Larry-306 United States (Private)
          1 year 9 months ago
          Thank you.. I was about 10 years when my Dad told me stuff. I remember
          the Deer on the front lawn of the mansion. They put Christmas lights on
          it.  The white house next door had beautiful lights on it. I remember
          the portico in front of the mansion. I remember thinking there was a
          horse drawn carriage there..   I was very young with a vivid imitation.
          My dad told me things and through years things blend together. I do know it
          was horrible to destroy that work of art..  The history is amazing..Thank you again..
      1 year 4 months ago
      PINE MEADOW - PINE GROVE CEMETERY - 02.jpg
      Would you please supply me with the address and zip code of Pine Grove Cemetery?  If there is a phone number, I'd like that, too.

Thank you.

1 year 4 months ago
      MIDDLEBURY - ST JOHN OF THE CROSS CHURCH - 01
      My Grand mother Mary ( Mae) Loretta Ferrante told me that her husbands father Nicoli Ferrante and my Grand Mothers Grand Father John Delaney placed the first corner stones in the church when they helped build it.. I know that My mother was Baptised there and married in the church my Grandmother known as Mae Ferrante was buried from the church in 1978.  in fact she lived up above the kitchen in the rectory in the 1950's and helped Father Fanning. she cooked cleaned the rectory and assisted taking care of the church along with singing and playing the organ while at Mass..My brothers and my sister and I were Baptised there.
      1 year 9 months ago
      Don LaRussa, Fred Barberi (Santa) and Henry O'Leary  Dec  4th, 1948
      on the right side of the picture in the background-- is that the closed St Paul's Episcopal Church and Center Street on the left side background of the picture?
      1 year 9 months ago
      Don LaRussa and Santa (Fred Barberi)  December 1948
      Could that have been Christmas 1947-- when G Fox & Co was celebrating its 100th anniversary? (and not 1948?  just asking)