All Comments to Chuck Doan's files

• Jerry (Private)
    Grease (is the word).
    Chuck that is just about as close any one is going to get to real grease.Just excellent work.
      Thanks Jerry!
  • 6 months ago
    Cast steel texturing
    Very clever. I have seen similar texturing with superglue.
  • Gene Deimlin (Private)
    1 year 1 month ago
    Chuck
    How did you get that wonderful color on the galvanized pipe?

Gene Deimling
    • Chuck Doan Premium user United States (Private)
      1 year 1 month ago
      Hi Gene,
      The pipe is K and S aluminum tubing carefully etched in Ferric Chloride. That gives it a good start. The 3D printed upper cap and the elbow were primed in flat black and given a wash of Polly Scale L and N Grey. Then light dabbing of thinned black, grey and white gouache on everything. The gouache is very forgivable and blends nicely and dries somewhat transparent. Then dab some grey and white pigments and spritz with Dullcote from a distance to mottle. Basically a lot of back and forth working until I'm happy.
      • Ralph (Private)
        I am looking for Chuck Doan who served on the USS Cook. This is HT 1 Ralph Duff. Would love to hear from you and Daniel.
          Sorry, I'm not the one. Hope you find him!
      • Gene Deimling (Private)
        1 year 1 month ago
        Chuck
        Thank you. I will give your technique a try.
        Gene
  • Jay Shellen (Private)
    Glen bell enginehouse
    Some of those patterns ended up in the SPCRR collection at Ardenwood in Fremont.
      That's good to hear!
    Rusting mostly complete.
    Genius...such a nice effect.  How do the pencils work to give the built up rust effect.  Also noticed you changed your base color from green to red?  Didn't think anyone would notice did ya?...Ken
      So far you are the only one!  I apply the colors with a damp tip in a dot fashion. Some blending with a damp toothpick. Tedious.
    5aaa
    Flat out finest craftsmanship I have ever seen.  Follow everything you do Chuck, and despite you being at a truly unobtainable level I learn something that improves my modeling from your work.  Appreciate your time in posting.
    Ken Karns...
    1 year ago
    Wood block car
    The car in the fore front is Block Car A (three board) which I dismantled in 1986 and used trucks, couplers and other hardware for the NCNG caboose #1. The car to the rear is Block Car B (two board) which is the car that we are currently rebuilding using mostly original parts, a few will come from the other block car. I also took that car apart at the West Side mill site and moved it back to Nevada City as a flat along with all the metal parts to the upper body. John Christensen
    • Samuel Lardoux France (Private)
      Left open
      Nice job's ! Chipped paint is very realist !
    • Buster1895 Canada (Private)
      Mr. Doan, you're the best modeler!!! You encourage me to start again in modelling (last model I have completed was in the early 80's!!!)

Thank you for sharing your great talent. Excuse my primitive english.

Jean
    • leus (Private)
      Ground cover
      Is that door crooked towards its outer edge? Oh my. Such attention to detail.

Truly humbling work!